Friday, June 24, 2011

The Hot Zone (Part 1)

By now you should have read (or you should be completing) the first part of the book The Hot Zone. Post your responses to this section as comments to this post. (Do not create a new post for this.)

Questions to respond to:
1. What did you think about the reading?
2. What did you learn?
3. What questions do you still have?

Remember, comments are due by Friday, July 1, 2011.

I look forward to reading your responses!

2 comments:

  1. When I first saw the cover of Hot Zone it was written in red bold letters '' A terrifying true story",and I thought to myself how terrifying could it be? I knew authors try to persuade readers by some attention getter on the cover of books. However, after I read part one of the book I was proven totally wrong! The Hot Zone gave the most detailed description of how dangerous the virus was, and how careful one has to be around the virus if working with it. It seems as if the virus is fake,made up like this could never happen to people or monkeys. But the sad truth is : it indeed happened and its really sad that even doctors cant help a patient becasue it happened once and soon after the doctor caught the virus. Furthermore, after reading the first part of the book, I learned doctors are the ones that are there for you in your sickeness and even in your good health;the book reveals the compassion doctors have towards their patient. Even though there were some gruesome parts; I absolutely felt like I was there every moment. well, of course away from the virus ; ) Also, I believe the virus spread, becasue people were money hunger so they kept selling the monkeys to different islands and when they found sick ones they would just box them up and send them to different islands. Now that is cheating and not fair! So far, I have no questions about the reading, but I cant wait to read what's lurking in the cave that caused the people to catch the virus! (P.S i had jaw dropping moments, it was so gruesome i cant even explain!) But I loved every part of it! Cant wait to read the rest of the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book, The Hot Zone, by Richard Preston, in my opinion, is a very informative, yet disturbing book. The book basically talks about the Marburg virus. The author, Richard Preston, tried to use interviews with people he had in the past, and make a book about this big problem. It was very smart of him to make a book about this terrible event and only from some sources. He starts out the story by talking about one of the victims of the deadly virus, named Charles Monet. He is a handsome young man who lives in East Africa, but suddenly has this mysterious sickness that no one knows about nor how to cure it. I think the reading is very exciting, interesting, and informing, but I also think of the reading as very graphic and revolting.
    I have learned a lot from this book, mostly about the disease, not the cause of this horrible sickness. I learned people who are infected by the Marburg virus start seeing symptoms after seven days the parasite goes into the host. The first symptoms are eye aches and very strong headaches. Then the syptoms get worse by having abdominal or back pain. The sypmotoms become even worse by the victim starts vomiting "negro vomit", the person will look like he is dead and his or her eyes become red. Next, comes bleeding from any opening of the body. Then, the insides of the person will become dead as though they are of a corpse. Then the person will maybe die in their own pool of blood. I learned that the Marburg virus is techinacally from Africa,but the name MArburg is German. I have also learned that monley maybe the first carriers of the virus before humans were
    I do have a couple of question in the book. 1.) Was the Marburg virus's first hosts were Monkeys or another animal? 2.) In order to find a cure for the disease, would scientists look at the structure of the virus?

    ReplyDelete